Janey Mac, an elegant neighbourhood pub where we are making the old new again.
A Westport landmark re-imagined on Bridge St.
A protected structure of architectural, historical, archaeological and rural landmark significance, the original building was plotted in the 1780’s when the town was designed by William Leeson. Since it was first recorded in 1826, 19 Bridge St had been linked to a nearby Brewery belonging to W. Livingston, Esq.
Having lain idle for over 5 years, now is the chance for this iconic space to shine, bringing back to life an important piece of Westport’s forgotten history. We are proud to have revived this Westport landmark, and to continue the important business of quenching the thirst of our guests.
On the 8th September 1800 The Right Honourable, the Earl of Altamount leased to Richard Livingstone, Merchant, a plot of ground on Bridge Street, whereon two thatched cabins were formally standing (1789), for the yearly rent of £6. It was upon this site that the Livingstone’s established their Brewery on Bridge Street shortly thereafter and the Westport Distillery close by on Distillery Road in 1826.
In 1854, both the Distillery and Brewery employed about 150 men each and the distillery was producing about 60,000 gallons of whiskey per annum. The Distillery closed in the 1860, due to stiff competition from the Dublin distilleries who were now transporting their whiskey to Westport by rail.
Slaters Directory of 1881 when describing Westport states “A brewery, on Bridge Street belonging to Mr. Livingstone; two branch banks (the Ulster, and Bank of Ireland), and an admirably-conducted hotel are the chief business establishments” in Westport.
After William Livingstone died on the 11th April 1894, aged 62 years, the property was inherited by Mary Livingstone. On the 18th April 1902 Mary Livingstone, widow of Belclare, Westport transferred the property upon which the brewery was situated (and where our storeroom is now situated) and the brewery itself, to her son, Henry Livingstone of Belclare and the rights to continue to use the name of William Livingstone whilst carrying on the business of brewer.
On the 8th May 1906 a portion of the property, upon which our bar is situated today and which was built in 1838, was sold by William H. Darley Livingstone of Belclare, Westport to William Kennedy, a Watchmaker, who was a tenant in the property from year to year, for the sum of £300. In this deed the property is described as “bounded on the West by Bridge Street, on the North by Dominick Hastings, on the East by the Brewery and on the South by the Scotch House”
On the 13th November 1919, the property was sold by William Kennedy, then described as “Jeweller” to William White Hewetson, a Cycle Mechanic for the sum of £290
On the 6th February 1920, William White Hewetson obtained a Mortgage over the property in the amount of £300. On the signed Indenture of that date, it cited again that the property was “bounded on the West by Bridge Street, on the North by premises in the occupation of Robert H Laing, on the East by the Brewery and on the south by the “Scotch House” situate on Bridge Street”.
On the 31st January 1975 William White Hewetson, retired, transferred the property to his son, Norman Hewetson. At that time the property was described as “bounded on the West by Bridge St, on the North by premises in the occupation of Kelly’s Ltd, on the east by the premises formally known as the Brewery and on the South by the premises formally known as the Scotch House”.